We’re Just Getting Started!
It’s an honor to serve as your County Commissioner. Working together, we can be proud of all that we’ve accomplished for Precinct 1. But we’re just getting started! We have more to do and we are making great progress, every day, on new programs, services, and initiatives that are designed to make life better for you and your family.
- Approved $1.78 billion budget for Fiscal Year 2020 that maintains the same property tax rate (30.11 cents per $100 valuation) as the previous fiscal year. Our tax rate has not increased 25 years. Budget highlights include funding for an increase in prosecutors for the DA’s Family Violence Division, $16.45 million for new and existing flood control projects, and $20.5 million to begin six new road projects. The county budget makes family issues a priority. In addition to increasing staff in the family violence division and family justice protection order division, the budget also gives funding to the county’s Child Welfare Board to help prevent repeat removals of children from their families. Finally, the county budget puts $5 million toward addressing jail population issues and vacancies in the ranks of detention officers.
- TJX/MARMAXX opened its state-of-the-art 1.5 million square foot distribution center in Precinct 1, bringing 1,000 new jobs and natural development to our community.
- Voted to approve University Health System (UHS) $452 million expansion for Women & Children’s Inpatient Tower.
- Opened New Fire Marshal Administration Building located at 9810 Southton Rd.
- Opened New Tax Assessor-Collector Office Drive Thru Service on the South Side at 3505 Pleasanton Road.
- New Bexar County Sheriff’s Office Cagnon Substation located on Cagnon Road near Loop 1604 and Hwy. 90.
- Hosted Precinct 1 Community Health and Education Fair, making county services and commercial and non-profit organization health services accessible to the residents of Precinct 1.
- Unveiled 26-foot Veterans Monument at Precinct 1 Satellite Office on the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day Invasion.
- Brought Actor/Director Tony Plana to Precinct 1 to host “Seniors in Play” Theatre Group.
- Hosted Senior Day at the Texas Capital and the 2nd Annual Senior Community Service Award Day at Camargo Park.
- Opened New Public Works HQs Building along the Mission Reach of the San Antonio River.
- Initiated programs providing free mammograms and free flu shots to residents in Precinct 1
- Initiated new programs to help keep teens in school and offer assistance to abused children.
I ask for your continued support so that we can build on these accomplishments and create even more opportunities for the people of Precinct 1 and all of Bexar County.